Tuesday 10 April 2007

Journal the detail

I believe fully in the power of the detail, the little things that make you inately you. I used to struggle with this, unable to understand how everybody can be the same and yet different, and on a personal level how I can display my difference in my life, but still be something that resembles Jesus.

I journal ALOT. I blog, I write, I art it up, I have a million and one journals scattered around my flat. Within my scrapbooking I don't ever really touch on my brother's death. I can think of maybe one page that I have done, and that was a hard page. It doesn't feel like something that can be made pretty, that can be turned into something beautiful. It is what it is, and that is overwhelming and hard. This is part of the reason I believe in the power of the detail. Of the trivial; the order you eat a fast food meal (fries, burger, drink, for the record ;)) whether you count the amount of hours sleep you get on waking, your favorite smells in the whole world, where you find glimpses of peace and beauty. Those things are inately you, you may share some of them with others, but there are always things that are just you. The smallest and stupidest detail occurs ALOT in my pages. The small triviality is not necessary unscrapworthy/unjournal worthy/un-note (word?!) worthy. In fact it can be in those things the beauty is found.

I find comfort in knowing I find going to the toilet so boring that I always leave it till the last minute. When i'm angry/excited/shocked/disbelieving my voice will get higher and higher untill it is only audible to bats and dogs. It's part of me, that I can't sleep without socks. These are the small things that make up my daily person. I believe totally that knowing these things, will also help me to know more about my character. To learn more about myself.

Amongst all the mess, the pain, the big challenges, it is these little things that help make me, me! It is these glimpses that can maybe be something to be thankful for.

So I challenge you, blogland, to create a layout/journal an entry/paint a page in your art journal, with 3 - 5 short facts, little snippets, one liners, that are you. Your habbits, your loves, your dislikes. They can be as insane as you, as quiet as you, as kooky as you, as long as they are about you! The layout doesn't have to have a picture, it can have more than 5 things if you get on a roll! It doesn't have to have any kind of structure, its just about getting those things down on paper, documenting them, so that generations to come will know I found going to toilet boring and that's where they get it from ;)

These are just some of my recent pages from a digital art journal I am keeping, just for a little bit of eye candy and inspo!


Please share with us if you take up this challenge. Send us a link to your blog, send us an email, leave us a comment, send a smoke signal in the air if its your thing! I'd love to see the details of you :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Tuesday Love is amazing Rhi. I love everything that you wrote. It's true. I will so do the challenge this week.
I also do find going to the toilet very boring... and gosh, what a waste of time!!!! I mean... well, think about it: you have to get there, then pull down your trousers... and well, you know the rest!!!! What a waste!!! Did I ever tell you that I peed my pants once cause I waited... well... until the last minute when I realized that the last minute had gone!!!! LOL I will not reveal the age I was when that happened... hahaha LOL!!! Now the entire world will know I peed my pants!!! Oh well, that makes me ME, right?

Love you lots and have a good trip 2morrow. Will email you in a few minutes. xxxxxxx