Wednesday 6 February 2008

well

i woke up this morning, went in the bathroom... and guess what was the first thing i did? yep. i failed! i looked in the mirror. i don't think it'd be possible to not look in a mirror. unless all the mirrors were destroyed. and still. we could always look in a puddle of water and see our reflection! or. in a shop window!

Rhian: Ha, "unless all the mirrors were destroyed." All the mirrors IN THE WORLD!
I've been thinking about it. Is this question uncomfortable because we are vain? Is this question uncomfortable because it makes us realise just how much time we do spend on our appearance, despite our contstant talk about finding inner beauty?
Is this question uncomfortable because it makes us seem contradictory in what we hold as important? I think its that last one.
I believe in beauty of character yes. So then why would it matter if I look in the mirror or not?
I have no answers, and oh so many questions.

Flo: yes. i believe in the inner beauty more than anything else. but. maybe. what if looking in the mirror wasn't such an uncomfortable thing? i mean. not in a vain way. what if it'd be possible to look at ourselves in a 'healthy' way. just because. we like pretty things. we're attracted to pretty things. i did say "things". i'm not talking about people. because i don't believe that it'd be possible for someone to actually be ugly. but. what if? would it be possible to learn to have a balance. and maybe. learn to look at our true selves without been vain and trying to look like someone else? or better that someone else? like, why is it so uncomfortable for someone not to wear any makeup? why do we wear makeup anyways?
oh dear. more questions. ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't wear make-up. Not foundation, mascara, lipstick/gloss, eyeliner, eye shadow, blusher.
On a special occasion I'll wear (clear) mascara and a bit of eye shadow, but this has to be a wedding or something of equal importance. I actually HATE the idea of foundation and cover-up. I can't stand the thought of being shut up underneath it.

Doesn't it boil down to WHY we look in mirrors? I check my face after I brush my teeth to make sure I haven't dribbled toothpaste down my chin. That's not vanity, that is the avoidance of looking like a prat in public.

As previously stated, I spend little to no time on my face, the mirror I look at most is the full length one in my bedroom where I choose my outfits. Whether or not that is vanity, I don't know. It doesn't feel like it.

Evidently our society has a huge problem with image portrayal. I've just done an essay on the negative impacts of the "perfect woman" image used in the media, magazines, tv, internet, advertising, etc etc. Such effects are widespread, devastating and usually affect the entire lifespan. Sources of this are unavoidable. I feel like the best I can do is bring my children up to be as immune as possible. I will get back to you on how I plan to do that. We need to spawn a healthier, happier next generation.
I do have faith we'll get there.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a new writer at blogger, I write about iran and its people, hope to see you on my blog. thanks.

sajjad from iran
http://aniraniancitizen.blogspot.com